MISSION, VISION & STRATEGIC GOALS
The Governor Mifflin School District: Educating while Inspiring, and Empowering Every Student Every Day.
The GMSD Vision: A Blueprint for Excellence
The Governor Mifflin School District is a community of dedicated individuals working together to achieve the mission of, Educating, Inspiring, and Empowering Every Student Every Day. To this end, we commit to the following Vision:
- Will establish a reputation for excellence at the local, state, national and international levels.
- Will be perceived as a 21st Century school system committed to preparing every student for success in an interdependent, global economy.
- Will strive to produce student achievement data that ranks it as the premier school district in Berks County.
- Will commit to building a strong home and school connection within each building, as well as the entire District.
TEACHERS AND STAFF
- Will encourage students to take healthy risks in their quest for excellence
- Will offer respect and encouragement by providing the materials, time, and attention required to meet students’ needs.
- Will commit to a culture of continuous professional improvement.
- Will strive to establish healthy, lasting relationships with their students which, in turn, serve to make everyone more eager to learn and to become active members of our school community.
- Will commit to a greater awareness of the use of social media for student learning.
- Will be encouraged and supported to be risk takers.
PARENTS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS
- Will work in a mutual partnership with the school district to promote student growth and achievement.
- Will providing a safe, supportive environment beyond the classroom that recognizes excellence and encourages growth in all aspects of students’ lives.
- Will challenge children to work to their fullest potential both at home and at school.
THE SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT
- Will reflect a student-first approach to the overall school experience.
- Will have classroom walls that do not restrict learning, but rather provide a safe environment in which the students can develop the technological, communicative, collaborative and creative competencies needed for application in the world in which they live.
- Will embody a positive, mutually respectful culture in which students and staff thrive.
- Will provided consistent hardware access, implementation and use of technology across buildings and grade levels.
- Will be supportive of the growing diverse population with cultural sensitivity and understanding.
- Will arrive at school prepared to engage in a rigorous and relevant curriculum that encourages communication and collaboration as a means of developing critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, and creativity.
- Will be provided with varied opportunities to develop and enhance their artistic, musical, athletic and leadership attributes.
- Will explore the world around them in order to gain confidence as learners and leaders who will inspire change and make a difference.
- Will embrace challenges as a springboard to success.
- Will be confident in their abilities, and upon Commencement become integral parts of society on the local, national, and global levels and proud graduates of the Governor Mifflin School District.
- Students learn best in an environment where they are not afraid of failing and they are encouraged to take risks.
- In developing the competencies of problem solving, social/communication skills, technology and teamwork
- In teaching our students to display honesty, integrity and respectful behavior through leadership and positive interactions with others.
- Students learn best when they are prepared for the economic and social challenges of a global society.
- In rigorous curriculum for all students.
- In attaining a clear acceptance for all diversity including, but not limited to ethnic, racial, gender and sexual orientation.
- Students should have a clear understanding of the world beyond their immediate community.
- It takes a team to provide an appropriate education for all: Students, parents, teachers, counselors, administrators, coaches, and supportive staff.
- Teachers and administrators must acknowledge and embrace the increasing global impact of technology.
- Every student has the ability to learn. Embracing this potential will lead students to lifelong success.
- Students are more likely to flourish when teachers and students establish a mutually respectful relationship.
- Interpersonal skills and relationships are critical to the learning process.
- In providing a safe and engaging learning environment that honors different learning and teaching styles and displays respect for diversity.
- A competent, caring and driven teacher is critical to nurturing student achievement.
- In providing opportunities for students to develop, express and demonstrate individual talents extending beyond the classroom.
- Parental support and engagement are crucial to nurturing student achievement.
- Students should have the opportunity to develop, express and demonstrate talents extending beyond the classroom.