GM PRE-K CLASSROOM
The Governor Mifflin School District is excited to announce that we have been awarded a grant to fund a preschool program for eligible 4-year-old children who reside within the district, for the 2017-2018 school year, to be held at the Cumru Elementary School. This program is made possible through the Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts program from the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE). The Pre-K Counts program is subject to final grant approval and the passing of the state budget. The grant is designed to provide quality pre-kindergarten programs for children determined to be most in need in our community.
Why PA Pre-K Counts?
Children who go to kindergarten without all the skills they need often struggle in school. Quality pre-kindergarten prepares children for learning beginning reading and math skills, paying attention, following directions, and getting along with others. Pre-kindergarten gives children a chance to learn, become excited about school and be better students. This strong early start in pre-kindergarten means your child has a better chance of doing well in school, going on to college or career training and getting a good job. All of this can start by enrolling your child in a Pre-K Counts classroom!
Our Pre-K Counts classroom will:
- Be taught by a certified teacher who has the expertise to foster the learning of young children
- Use a curriculum that will help your child grow academically and socially
- Regularly review your child’s progress and choose instruction and learning activities that are best for your child
- Help you and your child adjust to pre-kindergarten and smoothly move on to kindergarten
- Offer a small class size (20 students with one teacher and one teacher assistant) so that your child can have plenty of one-on-one time with the teachers
Governor Mifflin’s program will follow the elementary school calendar. Classes will begin at 9:15 a.m. (doors open at 9:00 a.m.) and end at 2:30 p.m.. Children must be picked up at school no later than 2:45 p.m. Bus transportation will not be provided.
Who is eligible for PA Pre-K Counts?
PA Pre-K Counts is a FREE program designed for children who are:
- 4 years old and have not yet entered kindergarten
- At risk of school failure because of income (300% of the federal poverty level or a family of four earning $73,800 or less)
Verification of income will be required. A copy of your 2016 1040 tax form must be submitted with your application.
How are children selected?
This program does not accept students on a first-come, first- serve basis. Twenty 4-year-old students who are determined to be the most “at-risk” will be selected to participate in the program. Applications will be ranked based on the level of need. Students must be 4 years old by September 1, 2017 in order to be considered for this year’s program. Eligible students not chosen for the classroom will be placed on a waiting list that will be maintained for the remainder of the school year.
How do I apply?
Download an application for the 2017-2018 school year here or pick one up at the Governor Mifflin Education Center. The deadline for submission is May 19, 2017. Applications may be dropped off at the Cumru Elementary School or mailed to:
Cumru Elementary School
Attn: Mrs. Lynne Phillips
10 South Waverly Street
Shillington, PA 19607
You may also contact Mrs. Lynne Phillips by telephone, at 610-775-5081 or via e-mail, at email@example.com.