GM PRE-K CLASSROOM
The Governor Mifflin School District is excited to announce that we have been awarded a grant to fund a preschool program for eligible four-year-old children who reside within the district for the 2016-2017 school year. Governor Mifflin’s preschool classroom is located at Cumru Elementary School and is made possible through the Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts program from the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE). The grant is designed to provide quality pre-kindergarten programs for children determined to be most in need in our community.
Why PA Pre-K Counts?
Children who go to kindergarten without all the skills they need often struggle in school. Quality pre-kindergarten prepares children for learning beginning reading and math skills, paying attention,
following directions, and getting along with others. Pre-kindergarten gives children a chance to learn,
become excited about school and be better students. This strong early start in pre-kindergarten means
your child has a better chance of doing well in school, going on to college or career training and getting a
good job. All of this can start by enrolling your child in a Pre-K Counts classroom!
Our Pre-K Counts classroom will:
- Be taught by a certified teacher who has the expertise to foster the learning of young
- Use a curriculum that will help your child grow academically and socially.
- Regularly review your child’s progress and choose instruction and learning activities that are best for your child.
- Help you and your child adjust to pre-kindergarten and smoothly move on to
- Offer a small class size (20 students with one teacher and one teacher’s assistant) so that your child can have plenty of one-on-one time with the teachers.
Governor Mifflin’s program will follow the elementary school calendar. Classes will begin at 9:00 a.m. (doors open at 8:45 a.m.) and end at 2:15 p.m.. Children must be picked up at school no later than 2:30 p.m.. Bus transportation will not be provided.
Who is eligible for PA Pre-K Counts?
PA Pre-K Counts is a FREE program designed for children who are:
- 4-years-old and have not yet entered kindergarten.
- At risk of school failure because of income (300% of the federal poverty level or a family of four earning $72,750 or less).
Verification of income will be required. A copy of your 2015 1040 tax form must be submitted with your application.
How are children selected?
This program does not accept students on a first-come, first-serve basis. Twenty 4-year-old students who are determined to be the most “at-risk” will be selected to participate in the program. Applications will be ranked based on the level of need. Students had to be 4-years-old by September 1, 2016, in order to be considered for this year’s program. Eligible students not chosen for the classroom will be placed on a waiting list that will be maintained for the remainder of the school year.
How do I apply?
An application for the 2016-2017 school year is available for download here or at the Governor Mifflin Education Center. The deadline for submission has passed. Those wishing to be placed on a waiting list for the 2016-2017 school year, may submit an application to:
Governor Mifflin School District
ATTN: Lynne Phillips
Governor Mifflin School District
10 South Waverly Street
Shillington, PA 19607