GET HELP FOR ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE
Know the Facts!
The National Institute on Drug Abuse has created an easy-to-read website about drug facts, addiction and prevention. Visit http://easyread.drugabuse.gov/ to learn more.
Prevention Tips for Parents:
- Clean out your medicine cabinets at home to remove any prescription medications that are no longer needed.
- Check through your child’s cell phone and email contacts to know who your child is talking to.
- Pay attention to your child’s friends. Take notice if there is a sudden change in friends or circles of people with whom your child associates.
Do You Suspect Substance Abuse?
Random drug testing can be conducted by parents at a minimal cost. The Governor Mifflin School District has partnered with the Berks County Treatment Access Services Center (TASC) for safe, reliable, efficient, confidential and affordable drug testing for your child. These results are shared with the PARENT ONLY. The school district DOES NOT receive any test results.
Parents interested in having a drug screen done on their child should call Damaris at 610-898-7981 and request to bring their child in for a “Special." Damaris operators are available Mon.-Thur., 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. If no answer, please leave your name and number and a message that you are calling about drug screening. Your call will be returned so that you will have a good understanding of the process.
- The drug screens will be taken at 145 N. 6th St. in the St. Joseph’s Community Campus on the first floor. It is on the corner of 6th and Walnut Streets.
- Tests are for THC (marijuana), cocaine, opiates, amphetamine and PCP.
- Each test costs $15.
- All tests are observed by a same sex monitor.
- The person to be tested should identify himself or herself to the staff at the testing site as a “special.” They should have picture ID and $15. Staff should have the individual's name from the original call from the parents. The individual will give a sample while being observed. The sample will be tested for the drugs listed above, and the results will be documented with copies for the parent.
Treatment Access and Service Center Phone 610-375-4426
19 N. 6th Street
Reading PA 19601
TASC provides intake and assessment services for individuals who do not have private insurance. If you do not have private insurance and want to be evaluated for alcohol and/or drug abuse, you can schedule and appointment with TASC. TASC will then refer you to appropriate providers in the community. If you do have private insurance, you must schedule and evaluation thru your insurance provider.
Council on Chemical Abuse Phone 610-376-8669
The Council on Chemical Abuse is the single authority for Berks County, disbursing government and other funding to appropriated agencies in the community. You can learn more about the services that the Council funds on their website at: www.councilonchemicalabuse.org